November 2018 Chef of the Month / Barb

Each Month we recognize an Outstanding Member in the Cookin' Up Creations Scrapbooking Community. Will you be next?
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

November 2018 Chef of the Month / Barb

Post by tammyfolk »

Cookin' Up Creations is pleased to announce that our "Chef of the Month" for November 2018 is our very own. . .Barb Prendergast!

Barb has been an member of the Cookin' up Creations community since practically the beginning - She was in charge of the Creative Team back in the day (when we had one), and literally helped me run the site when I needed it. She still remains a very active member, shares numerous creations with us in the gallery monthly, and is one of the first people to volunteer when I need help!! :mrgreen: .....so please help me Congratulate Barb as our Chef of the Month for November 2018!

Short Bio:

My name is Barbara (Barb) Prendergast. I was born and raised in north-central Illinois and lived there until 3 years ago, when my husband Mike, my mom and I moved to southern Colorado. My husband Mike and I have four grown and married children and 11 grandchildren. Both of us are retired. I graduated from Northern Illinois University with a bachelor's degree in journalism, and from North Park University with a master's of business management degree.

What do you enjoy most about scrapbooking?
I've always loved “making things”. Scrapbooking gives me a creative outlet to showcase family photos and memories in a unique way. I love putting together patterns and colors as I create my scrapbook pages.

Do you have a scrapbooking style? If so, describe it for us.
I don't think I really have a particular “style”. I tend to copy elements that I like from scrapbook projects I see on the internet, so my style might go from retro to lots of photos on a page to 1 photo, and so on.

What are some of your current favorite products to use?
I discovered chalk pastels a few months ago and I've been experimenting with them on my layouts. Right now I'm working with Prima's Amelia Rose collection on a memory book for a niece.

What are some of the things that inspire you?
Most of the time, photos are my first inspiration and I build my layouts aaround them. Sketches also inspire me.

Tell us about your scrapbooking space.
I'm fortunate to have my own room for scrapbooking. It's small but holds my supplies and finished scrapbooks. It's messy right now because I'm trying to organize, purge and rearrange it.

What do you do for a living?
I worked as a news reporter/editor and in public relations and marketing for near 30 years, then worked as a substitute teacher and at Walmart. I'm retired now on disability due to rheumatoid arthritis.

What would be YOUR perfect day?
Any day spent with my kids and grandkids. We're 1100 miles away from family now, and I do miss being able to see them more often.

What is your favorite indulgence?
Chocolate!

What's one thing you'd like to learn that's NOT scrapbook related?
I would like to learn to knit or crochet.

What's your current ringtone?
Just a random ring on my cell phone.

Favorite song?
Leonard Cohen's “Hallelujah”

Current favorite movie?
“Hidden Figures”

Do you have a Favorite Layout?
It's hard for me to pick a “favorite” out of the tons of layouts I've made, but this is one that I'm especially proud of. It just kind of came together exactly the way I wanted it to look.

Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Re: November 2018 Chef of the Month / Barb

Post by Tamara »

Congratulations Barb! So good to learn so much about you. Are you enjoying living in Colorado? Your pages are always an inspiration to me. You do an awesome job continually! Thanks for sharing so much!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
BarbP
Sous Chef

Post by BarbP »

Thank you for chossing me as Chef of the Month! It's an honor to be recognized :) This forum is my "scrapbooking home", and I treasure the friendships I've made here. Looking forward to another month of challenges for "A Season of Love"!
Greatgramof5
Prep Cook

Post by Greatgramof5 »

Congrats, Barb! Thank you for sharing so much about your scrapping thoughts and your basic life with us. Distance from family is difficult especially if you were physically living closer in the past. My DD's family are close but far enough away that I understand exactly what you are going through. I have 2 new great granddaughters that I've never seen yet in person.
I absolutely adore the LO you chose as one of your favorites. I know exactly what you mean by saying how pleased you were as it all came together so perfectly.
8-) Karen
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Congrats, Barb! It is always fun/neat to learn about the other members here on the board. I can easily see why you chose that LO of yours to showcase.
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

Congrats, Barb! I also went to NIU! When were you there? Thanks for sharing your talent and ideas with us!
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
BarbP
Sous Chef

Post by BarbP »

Patti wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 pm Congrats, Barb! I also went to NIU! When were you there? Thanks for sharing your talent and ideas with us!
I was at NIU from 1975-79; I was a news-editorial journalism major.
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

BarbP wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 am
Patti wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:44 pm Congrats, Barb! I also went to NIU! When were you there? Thanks for sharing your talent and ideas with us!
I missed you by a few years. I graduated in 73. Special Ed/El Ed major
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
BarbP
Sous Chef

Post by BarbP »

Patti wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:33 pm
BarbP wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:39 am
I missed you by a few years. I graduated in 73. Special Ed/El Ed major
I was a special Ed/El Ed major for a year (1974-5) at Carthage College in Kenosha, WI., but my love of telling the story won out and I switched majors; I headed south because Carthage sits right on the edge of Lake Michigan, and one winter of that cold winter wind whipping across campus was enough for me! :lol:

Return to “Chef of the Month”