12-13 Ornament Memories

Join us all month long in December as we post challenges based on the wonder and beauty that is Winter.
Patti
Station Chef

12-13 Ornament Memories

Post by Patti » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:14 am

Join us all month long in December as we post challenges based on the wonder and beauty that is Winter.!! Everyone is welcome to play along!!

A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Wednesday and Saturday, and participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations.

Prize will be a $10 Gift Certificate to their online store of choice.

Today's challenge is a little different than most. It is all about our favorite handmade ornaments (old or new) and the stories that go with them.

At the beginning of the school year I adopted a friend's 3rd grade class and make a gift for her to give to her students every month. This month it is these picture ornaments. While working on them I thought about some of the special ornaments that my family has collected over the years and the memories they bring back.

So, for this challenge, you don't have to create anything new. You just have to share a picture and a story.
Patti

Beth
Station Chef

Re: 12-13 Ornament Memories

Post by Beth » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Two fun things at The Stampin' Cottage this year. A group of ten of us did a Sock Swap. What a Blast!

I made this cute Snowman Tree this year at The Stampin' Cottage . I am collecting hats, scarves, gloves and mittens with my Stamp Clubs and my 1974 Graduate Group to donate to our local elementary school.

SusieQ
Sous Chef

Post by SusieQ » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:06 am

The first ornament means the world to me. My grandmother loved shopping from the old Spencer gifts catalogs .(much different from Spencer gifts today) for my wedding gift she gave me a laundry basket loaded with her puchases, pot holders, kitchen towels , some weird kitchen gadgets and this glass spun ornament. That was in 1975. Grandma passed in 1981. Her bday was Dec 11th. I put the ornament on my tree each year on Dec 11th. It is like getting a grandma hug.

This ornament is one of several I made by transposing images. Sorry it was hard to photograph, I even had to turn it to b/w to help, although photo is a b/w photo. You can see wood grain of coffee table in photo) this is my mom and me in the photo. I also added mica chips. My hubby got sentimental doing the tree as I have another of his dad and my son and grandson and hubby's dad passed in the end of April.

Jan Mosier
Sous Chef

Post by Jan Mosier » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:00 pm

I don't have a photo of my favorite handmade ornament because it's in the attic packed up with all the other Christmas decorations that we didn't put out this year. However, it is an ornament my stepdaughter made at church when she was about 10 or 11 years old. It's a simple holly leaf made out of cinnamon and applesauce with a sparkly green ribbon tied in a knot at the top. I usually hang it near the top of the tree so that I can look at it.

It looked similar to these but cut with a holly leaf cookie cutter.

Lolis
Prep Cook

Post by Lolis » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Every year I used to make ornaments for my Christmas tree, these are the last ornaments my kids and I created together. They have gone on the tree ever since. They smell wonderful and are very durable. They are made with the applesauce and cinnamon clay like Jan's ornament. My boys were around 9 and 11 when we made them. It seems that every year I have less and less time to create. For several years I had my students decorate some of these ornaments, I wonder if any of them still have them.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Patti
Station Chef

Post by Patti » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:05 am

Loved the pictures and stories! thanks everyone for sharing! I made some of those cinnamon ornaments also but mine ended up getting ruined in a wet basement.
Patti