The Wild, Wild West November 9: Camels

Join us all month long as we visit the historical period of the American Frontier in the late 19th Century, characterized by lawlessness, violence and most importantly, adventure.
phillisw
Challenge Team

The Wild, Wild West November 9: Camels

Post by phillisw »

Welcome to the Wild, Wild West - where this town ain't big enough for the both of us . . .

Join us all month long as we visit the historical period of the American Frontier in the late 19th Century, characterized by lawlessness, violence and most importantly, adventure.

A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Monday (sketch), Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations in the Cookin' up Creations Gallery.

Prize will be a $20 Gift Certificate to their favorite online store (random drawing).....

Did you know there were camels in the Wild West? There were. See the history of them below.

The Army Imported Camels To Texas, Where They Terrorized Settlers Across The West
In 1855, the US Army decided to import camels to Texas. The wide-open spaces of the West were well-suited for camels, so the government bought 75 camels from the Middle East.

The camels worked at Camp Verde, where they made supply runs to San Antonio. But a few years later, the Civil War disrupted the camels' service when a government official decided to auction off the animals. The new owner sent some camels to Nevada and California. Other camels were simply set free.

At first, camel sightings were rare. But in the 1880s, Arizona Territory faced a terrible menace known as the Red Ghost. The Red Ghost trampled one woman. Another story claimed the monster ate a grizzly bear. When miners spotted the Red Ghost and fired at it, a human skull fell from the creature's back.

After years of terrorizing Arizona, the Red Ghost was finally taken out. The menace was actually a feral camel. Camel sightings in the West continued into the 20th century.

Thus my challenge to use camels, elephants, or some other animals on your page, 2 or more.
Since camels will leave a trial as they travel through the desert use some ink on your page.
Lastly use something that an animal may eat. I included flowers on my page
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Re: The Wild, Wild West November 9: Camels

Post by Deanna13 »

Fun challenge and great example, Phillis! :)
ImageImageImageImage
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

Here's mine using...
2+ Animals (butterfly on tag, bird, cheetah cub)
Ink
Something They Eat - Leaves

Photos of sweet grandson Marcus at the Cincinnati Zoo, May 2022. :)
It's A Zoo Around Here!
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Deanna: cute page. Thanks for doing my challenge
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

In my research on camel food, I read that camels have a pulsating chew which allows the spikes of the catus to slide down their throats vertically so that there is no impairment. So, for my edibles, I used the spikes in the circles as thorns that would be on the catus and the yellow enamels as the grain they are fed.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Patti wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:28 am

In my research on camel food, I read that camels have a pulsating chew which allows the spikes of the catus to slide down their throats vertically so that there is no impairment. So, for my edibles, I used the spikes in the circles as thorns that would be on the catus and the yellow enamels as the grain they are fed.
Patti: wow, I LOVE your page and your research wow!!!
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
sherriscraps
Sous Chef

Post by sherriscraps »

I used lots of different animals in my pp and embellishments along with leaves that they eat.

SHERRI P :)

ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Sherri: ah cute! thanks for doing my challenge
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
lilkoala3
Prep Cook

Post by lilkoala3 »

Stamped leaves with black ink and also included leaf stickers! Lots of animals, too!
Attachments
20231115_133128.jpg
20231115_133128.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 473 times
Leslie

ImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

I have two or three sheep in my photo. I research what sheep eat and as well as grass they love apples. Sheep may have apples as long as the seeds are removed. They are a healthy treat and contain vitamins and minerals like vitamin C, Magnesium and potassium along with many antioxidants.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “November 2023 - the Wild, Wild West”