Hi from Hollis Alaska!

Welcome to Cookin' up Creations. Please take a few moments to introduce yourself here.
GinniG
Station Chef

Hi from Hollis Alaska!

Post by GinniG »

Hi everyone! My name is Ginni Gass and I'm happy to be here! I know several members from the Creative Inspiration board and some others from other places. I'm a grandmother of 5, wife of 30 years and mother of 1 daughter and 3 stepsons. My husband Steve and I are retired and in June 2016 we started quite the adventure. He grew up in Southeast Alaska and had always wanted to return. So after 20 years in South Florida we packed what we needed and wanted (of course ALL of my scrappy things had to come! And all my Christmas things too!) and we took off. We have almost 3 acres on a saltwater lagoon on Prince of Wales Island in a small community of about 260 people called Hollis. We've been living in a very hastily built cabin for the majority of that time and we have a 14 year old dog Baxter (from Florida!), a 2 year old HUGE cat named Jeff, and 5 geese that are just over a year old. We are in the process of building a more permanent home which will have a beautiful view. We are beginning to live what's called a subsistence lifestyle where we grow as much food as we can, hunt for the local deer and fish for lots of delicious things like all 5 kinds of salmon, halibut, ling cod, snapper, shrimp, crabs and whatever else we are blessed with! We live 25 miles over a mountain pass from the nearest store of any kind so I have to make sure we have enough supplies to get us through whatever weather or other situation might arise. Having grown up in a suburb of Washington, DC this has been quite the lifestyle change and I absolutely LOVE it! I've been scrapbooking almost 20 years and have been on several design teams in the past. When our new home is finished, I'll finally have a very well designed and organized scrap room all to myself! Meanwhile, I'm using the dining room set that's WAY too big for our little cabin. I don't really have a style, just whatever fits the challenge or pictures I'm working with. I look forward to playing here!
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Kiki Halbert
Prep Cook

Re: Hi from Hollis Alaska!

Post by Kiki Halbert »

Wow! What an amazing life change! I thought my move from Ottawa to Vancouver was big. Yikes! How are you adjusting to the cold up there? It sounds amazing. Can't wait to see your layouts and get to know you better!
scrlvr78
Prep Cook

Post by scrlvr78 »

Welcome Ginni!
--Danielle--
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Welcome to CUC!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

Post by tammyfolk »

Welcome to Cookin up Creations Ginni! That’s one crazy life change! I can’t even imagine! It sounds super exciting though, and every day must seem like an adventure!!
Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Welcome to CUC! I visited Alaska 5 years ago in the summer; no way can I do that winter! It is so gorgeous. I'm impressed you can handle the winters
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

Welcome to CUC Ginni! What an amazing adventure. I thought leaving the country, moving to the city and back to the country was a lifestyle change. :lol: I will say, I would choose a rural area over the city any day! Maybe, not as rural as you though. :lol:
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

Hey Ginni! Glad you're here!
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

That is amazing!! I bet you have the most gorgeous views every day! My nephew and his family live near Fairbanks. I can't remember the town. He used to live in North pole but was transferred to Kentucky and after he got out of the army they moved back to Alaska. Welcome to our fun group!!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

Welcome!
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Welcome to Cookin' up Creations”