It Happened on Fifth Avenue 12-19-22

Join us ALL MONTH long as we pay tribute to ALL of those Holiday Movies that put you in the holiday spirit.
Patti
Site Admin

It Happened on Fifth Avenue 12-19-22

Post by Patti »

One of the best parts of the holidays is curling up on the couch with some hot cocoa and settling in for a true Christmas movie marathon. But, alas, the season is fleeting, so don't waste your precious festive time channel surfing or digging through streaming sites—just join us here at Cookin' Up Creations where we will be posting challenges all month long based on the heartwarming classics like It's a Wonderful Life to Christmas-movie-legend Home Alone. It's a month guaranteed to bring back movie memories and put you in the holiday spirit.

Remember - A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations.

Prize will be a $20 Gift Certificate to their favorite online store (random drawing).....
*Winner will be chosen via Random.Org.

It Happened on Fifth Avenue

Aloysius T. McKeever (Victor Moore), a hobo, makes his home in a seasonally boarded-up Fifth Avenue mansion, each time its owner—Michael J. O'Connor (Charles Ruggles), the second richest man in the world—winters at his Virginia estate. McKeever winds up taking in ex-G.I. Jim Bullock (Don DeFore), who has been evicted from an apartment building O'Connor is tearing down for a new skyscraper, and later 18-year-old Trudy "Smith" (Gale Storm), who is actually O'Connor's runaway daughter. Jim soon invites war buddies Whitey (Alan Hale, Jr.), Hank (Edward Ryan) and their families to share the vast mansion when they are unable to find homes of their own.

When Trudy encounters her father, she tells him she is in love with Jim. She has not told Jim who she really is because she wants to win his love without her wealth. She then persuades her father to pretend to be a homeless man named "Mike". McKeever reluctantly takes Mike in, but treats him like a servant. When Mike becomes fed up, he gives Trudy 24 hours to get the squatters out. Trudy calls Palm Beach and seeks help from her mother Mary (Ann Harding), who is recently divorced from Michael. Mary comes to New York and pretends to be another homeless person to join the other squatters. McKeever, sensing Mary and Mike have feelings for each other, nudges them together. Eventually, Mike tells Mary he is a changed man and proposes. Mary accepts.

Jim comes up with an idea to convert unused post-war Army barracks into much-needed housing. McKeever persuades him to bid for an Army camp on the outskirts of New York City. Jim and his friends raise money from hundreds of other ex-G.I.'s in the same predicament. O'Connor also wants the property, and a bidding war ensues before O'Connor finds out who his competitor is. To try to get rid of his daughter's suitor, he sees to it that the construction company Jim approaches about his conversion plan rejects it and instead offers him a well-paying job in Bolivia, on the condition that he be single.

Celebrating Christmas Eve together, the residents are caught by two patrolmen, but McKeever convinces them to let the families stay until after the New Year. Jim then reveals that the camp has been sold to O'Connor, and he is considering the job offer in Bolivia, resulting in Trudy breaking up with him. When Mary and Trudy find out how Mike has manipulated the situation, Mary thinks he has not changed after all, and that she and Trudy will leave for Florida. Ashamed, Mike arranges a meeting with "O'Connor" for Jim and his partners, who are dubious but accept. At the meeting, Mike reveals his true identity and transfers ownership of the camp to them, provided that they not reveal his identity to McKeever.

That night, everyone shares a New Year's dinner before restoring the house just as they found it. Mike, Mary, Trudy and Jim bid farewell to McKeever as he heads off to O'Connor's estate in Virginia, still unaware of the truth. Mike tells Mary to remind him to nail up the board in the back fence through which McKeever gets onto his property, intending to have McKeever come through the front door next winter.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. If you have never seen it I highly recommend you do. It's a great comedy with a heartwarming message.

Today's challenge based on this movie is to take things from the "hobo to 5th Avenue". For example on my LO instead of using cardstock that looked like wood, I actually used wood veneer to create my stripes. Using the sketch, get fancy and transform your LOs. You may do either side of the sketch or both. Other ideas...get out embossing powders and stamps and add some gold or sparkle, transform your alphas with minc or paint, create fancy cut mats, add some jeweled flourishes.

ImageImage
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Re: It Happened on Fifth Avenue 12-19-22

Post by phillisw »

Wow, Patti what a great dp Lo. Love the sketch and the challenge. Throwing the hatchet looks fun. Did you try it?
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Wow! I love the sketch and your beautiful layout! Wonderful challenge! Jorge and I watched the movie a couple of days ago. We loved it! Two thumbs up!👍
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Great sketch and layout! I have tried this and never been able made it stick. Turns out my concentrator interrupts the pull of the angle and force that you need in your body core to throw that hatchet! Every time I raise my hands to get a grip my concentrator comes flying around my body and stops the follow thru. If I put it on the ground and try then my cord yanks as I try to swing it. so it's a no go! :lol: :lol: :lol: I just go with the kids and watch them do it! and of course take pics.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

What a great 2 pager and fun challenge! I've never seen that movie but it sounds good and I'd like to watch it. I'll have to look for it.
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

I glittered three of the snowflakes to"take them to 5th avenue" Used gems. And the wild turkeys were in their back yard. They finally moved in two days before Christmas and are still putting their home into their new house.
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

pretty page, Ural
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Ural wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:10 pm Image

I glittered three of the snowflakes to"take them to 5th avenue" Used gems. And the wild turkeys were in their back yard. They finally moved in two days before Christmas and are still putting their home into their new house.
Ural, I love your take on the sketch! I might have to lift it to use on my December Daily!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

Lolis, feel free to use any part of it.
ImageImageImageImage
JamieA
Prep Cook

Post by JamieA »

Mine changed quite a bit as I put it all together. Hope the finished product is ok for this challenge.
ImageImageImage

Return to “December 2022 - It's a Wonderful Life”