Sat 10/15: The Raven

Join us as we flock together to complete this month's "Birds of a Feather" themed challenges! So, get ready!! The birds are coming!
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Sat 10/15: The Raven

Post by sthom97093 »

Join us as we flock together to complete this month's "Birds of a Feather" themed challenges. While this old proverb is true of all of us who share the same love for putting our memories on scrapbook pages or creating beautiful cards, the focus is not on us, but on the various birds that surround us with their beautiful colors, their varied songs, and their nest building skills. They may hang around our yards splashing in a bird bath and enjoying a free meal or they may make their home in a zoo. Perhaps they were a once in a lifetime sighting or a pet you enjoy every day. Big or small, they may frighten us or delight us. We use their names to describe others...you wise old owl, she's as colorful as a peacock, he's just a little songbird. They have stared in movies and inspired songs and poetry. And these amazing creatures have even risen to the heights of being honored as state and national symbols. So, get ready!! The birds are coming!

Remember - A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations.

Prize will be a $20 Gift Certificate to their favorite online store (random drawing).....

For my project today, I was inspired by The Raven by Edgar Allen Poe. With it being Halloween season, nothing screams Halloween more than this gorgeous black bird and the famous opening line of Poe's masterpiece, "Once upon a midnight dreary..."

But rather than go Halloween raven with my project, I went beach. Why? Because these photos of my daughters were taken at Sullivan's Island, South Carolina, the site of Fort Moultrie where Edgar Allen Poe was stationed while in the Army. This is one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It is very windswept, and it reminded my husband and I of scenes from Star Wars. And we had a professional photographer take pictures of our girls there when they were tiny.

My challenge for you this Saturday, in honor of The Raven and the raven bird, is to create a project using black in some way. I chose to use black and white photos of my children with black matting throughout the project. Perhaps you could use black paper? Or a favorite black and white picture in your stash? I can't wait to see how you all interpret the raven!

Tracy F
Challenge Team

Re: Sat 10/15: The Raven

Post by Tracy F »

What a great challenge! Love your page! Those photos are adorable!
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

Tracy F wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:38 am What a great challenge! Love your page! Those photos are adorable!
Thank you! My girls make scrapbooking easy! They are cute subject matter!
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

Really wonderful example for your challenge, Stephanie! :)
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

LOVE your page, Stephanie!! fun challenge
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

I chose the lines from the poem The Raven--The silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain. I chose shades of the color purple for this layout with a touch of black in the lettering. Since Poe was a poet, I included a poem on the layout.
I don't know if you can read Maddies words. They had been told the baby would not live outside her body, but they chose to carry the baby as long as possible in hopes of donating any usable organs, but she went into labor and the doctor could not stop it.
The poem was written by my mother when she lost my sister at birth.
ImageImageImageImage
Amy Jo
Guest Designer

Post by Amy Jo »

Ural wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:31 pm Image

I chose the lines from the poem The Raven--The silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain. I chose shades of the color purple for this layout with a touch of black in the lettering. Since Poe was a poet, I included a poem on the layout.
I don't know if you can read Maddies words. They had been told the baby would not live outside her body, but they chose to carry the baby as long as possible in hopes of donating any usable organs, but she went into labor and the doctor could not stop it.
The poem was written by my mother when she lost my sister at birth.
What a beautiful poem and a beautiful page. I cannot imagine how hard this was to go through or even to document…I cried just reading it. Wonderful work Ural!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Post by Deanna13 »

Here's mine! :)

Another great find while we were going through Mom's stuff. A filmstrip of photos of me, my sister, and my cousin being silly. :D
Photo Op
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Ah, cute Deanna. I have some of those strips of photos. HMMMMMMMMM I must go find them
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “October 2022 - Birds of a Feather”