10/10/22 YOUR State Bird

Join us as we flock together to complete this month's "Birds of a Feather" themed challenges! So, get ready!! The birds are coming!
Patti
Site Admin

10/10/22 YOUR State Bird

Post by Patti »

Join us as we flock together to complete this month's "Birds of a Feather" themed challenges. While this old proverb is true of all of us who share the same love for putting our memories on scrapbook pages or creating beautiful cards, the focus is not on us, but on the various birds that surround us with their beautiful colors, their varied songs, and their nest building skills. They may hang around our yards splashing in a bird bath and enjoying a free meal or they may make their home in a zoo. Perhaps they were a once in a lifetime sighting or a pet you enjoy every day. Big or small, they may frighten us or delight us. We use their names to describe others...you wise old owl, she's as colorful as a peacock, he's just a little songbird. They have stared in movies and inspired songs and poetry. And these amazing creatures have even risen to the heights of being honored as state and national symbols. So, get ready!! The birds are coming!

Remember - A new Blue Plate Special challenge is posted each Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and participants have until the 3rd of the following month to complete and post their creations.

Prize will be a $20 Gift Certificate to their favorite online store (random drawing).....

*Winner will be chosen via Random.Org.

Today's Challenge will be different for each of us. Using the following sketch, you are to find out details about YOUR State Bird and create a LO. You may choose to use Side A or Side B or Both sides of the Sketch for a single or double page. You must include a minimum of 3 features of your bird.

MY bird---North Carolina--The Cardinal

The Cardinal’s natural habitat currently extends over half of the United States, as far south as Belize and Guatemala, north into Canada, and as far west as North Dakota and southern Arizona. The male has year-round bright red plumage and a black face mask, while the female comes in various shades of brown, gray and red. Both males and females have strong short bills and a distinctive crest of head feathers. Primarily seed-eaters, cardinals will also eat insects, larvae, sap, and many types of fruit. Unlike most other bird species, in which only the male vocalizes, both cardinal genders sing--the males typically to attract mates or ward off intruders, and the female to signal the male to bring food for the nestlings.

Cardinals, sometimes known as Redbirds or Northern Cardinals, are non-migratory, and have adapted easily to both city and suburban environments. In fact, both their numbers and their habitat range have grown as population pressures on other species, and the number of backyard birdfeeders, have increased. Their nests are generally concealed in hedgerows or vines, and monogamous couples can have up to 3 clutches of 2-5 eggs per year during the spring and summer.

Six other states (Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia) have chosen the Cardinal as their state bird.

For my LO I used the colors of both the male and female, the tuft on the top of the head (border punch), the fact that they adapt to their surroundings (pictures of both indoors and outdoors) and that they are monogamous couples (family).

ImageImage
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Deanna13
Challenge Team

Re: 10/10/22 YOUR State Bird

Post by Deanna13 »

Great example, Patti! Our state bird is also the Cardinal. :)
ImageImageImageImage
scrappy.boymama
Challenge Team

Post by scrappy.boymama »

What a fun idea! Baltimore Oriole tends to lend itself well to a Halloween layout! I’ll have to see what else I can think of!
- Brandi :)

Follow me on Instagram! @scrappy.boymama

ImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

Wonderful pages Patti, along with interesting challenge!
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

Patti WOW love your pages. great use of three facts that of the bird that go with your pages :D
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Beautiful layout!! and amazing challenge!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ural
Station Chef

Post by Ural »

The state bird of Texas is the mockingbird. This bird is rather drab--white, gray, and black but it makes up for its looks with beautiful songs it copies from other birds. For my layout I used the colors of the birds plumage and did a paper piecing of the mockingbird.
ImageImageImageImage
Beth
Sous Chef

Post by Beth »

Pennsylvania State Bird: The Ruffed Grouse: A brown or gray-brown, chicken-like bird with slight crest, fan-shaped, black-banded tail, barred flanks, and black 'ruffs' on sides of neck.

I was so proud I got this page done. I used the colors of the Ruffed Grouse, feathers, wood embellishments and trees since they live in the woods.They eat flowers and buds so I added flowers. After hanging it up to take a picture I remembered it was a sketch. I am posting it anyway and will do another page with the sketch...DUH, me!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

Ural wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:51 pm Image

The state bird of Texas is the mockingbird. This bird is rather drab--white, gray, and black but it makes up for its looks with beautiful songs it copies from other birds. For my layout I used the colors of the birds plumage and did a paper piecing of the mockingbird.
Beautiful LO! Thanks for taking the challenge!
Patti

Patti
Site Admin

Post by Patti »

Beth wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:12 pm Image

Pennsylvania State Bird: The Ruffed Grouse: A brown or gray-brown, chicken-like bird with slight crest, fan-shaped, black-banded tail, barred flanks, and black 'ruffs' on sides of neck.

I was so proud I got this page done. I used the colors of the Ruffed Grouse, feathers, wood embellishments and trees since they live in the woods.They eat flowers and buds so I added flowers. After hanging it up to take a picture I remembered it was a sketch. I am posting it anyway and will do another page with the sketch...DUH, me!
You did a great job with the challenge and whose to say that this isn't your interputation of the sketch. ;)
Patti

Return to “October 2022 - Birds of a Feather”