National Day December 15, 2023

Lolis
Challenge Team

National Day December 15, 2023

Post by Lolis »

Let's celebrate everyday! Happy Bill of Rights Day!

What is your favorite right protected by the Bill of Rights?
The following question is just food for thought; If you had to do away with one of the rights, which one would you select?

BILL OF RIGHTS DAY

Bill of Rights Day (by Presidential Proclamation)

"Now, Therefore, I, Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America, do hereby designate December 15, 1941, as Bill of Rights Day. And I call upon the officials of the Government, and upon the people of the United States, to observe the day by displaying the flag of the United States on public buildings and by meeting together for such prayers and such ceremonies as may seem to them appropriate."

#BillOfRightsDay

The first 10 amendments to the United States Constitution make up the Bill of Rights. Passed by Congress on September 25, 1789, these rights place limits on government power.

Did you know?

The bill was introduced by James Madison. He later became the 4th President of the United States.

Congress passed 12 of Madison's proposed amendments. The states only ratified 10 of them.

One of the two rejected by the states concerned the number of constituents for each Representative. The other limited when and how members of Congress are compensated. Neither was ratified at the time.

The latter of the two rejected amendments was ratified 203 years later. The 27th Amendment restricted compensation for members of Congress.

The Bill of Rights is displayed in The Rotunda of the National Archives Building in Washington, DC.

There were 14 copies made; one for each of the 13 states to sign and one for the federal archives. Only 12 copies survive today.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Re: National Day December 15, 2023

Post by Lolis »

Here is a fun parody song about the Bill of Rights. My students love it!
https://youtu.be/8KmB_PRmIhY?si=Dppdok-O-p5Wrkex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Just grateful to live in a country with more freedom than other countries.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I am also glad to be living in the USA
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”