Sheltering/isolating in place is taking its toll...

BarbP
Sous Chef

Sheltering/isolating in place is taking its toll...

Post by BarbP »

Our four grown children, along with their families, are struggling with the quarantines and issues placed upon them by the Covid19 lockdowns. They're all dealing with the frustrations of working from home while caring for their kids and trying to do schoolwork over the internet; or having to report to work as usual because they are considered critical staff members; or struggling to finish college coursework on their own, at home, by a certain deadline. Our 19-year-old granddaughter told me via Facebook: "I’m typically a homebody, but I’ve never wanted out of the house more".

Have you and/or your family experienced issues and obstacles as a result of Covid19?
Patti
Site Admin

Re: Sheltering/isolating in place is taking its toll...

Post by Patti »

I have a son who is on an island off of Puerto Rico with a 7 pm curfew. They can not go out on Sundays. Even and odd license plates determine who can be out on which day. He lives in a room...not an apartment, a room. So far they have no cases on the island and they need to keep it that way because they also do not have a hospital. It blew down in the hurricane and has yet to be rebuilt. He deals with a lot of anxiety and is very social.....so far he is handling it very well. My other son was quarantined weeks ago because his girlfriend is a waitress and came in contact with someone who came down with the virus so neither of them have been out or working for over a month now. The rest of my family is doing good. I'm sure they wish they could be doing what is normal. My grandkids actually prefer school online because they can do their work and not have to listen to the teacher as much which leaves them more free time. My husband and I are loving this time of getting projects done and not having to be anywhere. We just take it one day at a time and enjoy the day.
Last edited by Patti on Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
Krystle
Sous Chef

Post by Krystle »

It has been a struggle trying to work full time and care for my son. But I know that others have it so much worse.
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

Post by tammyfolk »

I'm good with it. Even though I'm working, I have you guys when I'm home, and my work friends when I'm at work. I miss Jackie and the Grandbabies, but we have FaceTime.

Now Garrett, is a self proclaimed introvert. He loves this, but like Barbs granddaughter, he's struggling trying to finish his college semester online. He's used to timelines, and deadlines, and being held accountable. Classes helped him with that. He is having a hard time with time management, and isn't really "doing his best" and his grades are showing that. He tells me numerous times a day how much he hates online classes, and he has one archeology class that he does just enough to get by. . .(hence the grades). Not seeing the Deans List for the semester I'm sure. Just have to keep reminding him how much the loans are . . .
Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

My heart goes out to all of you struggling with work and having the kids home. I can't even imagine what you're going thru! I talk to my stepdaughter, who is a teacher, and is home with my 2 granddaughters and she's going crazy trying to keep them occupied and get them to do their schoolwork. They look at it as if it's a long vacation and don't think it's fair they have schoolwork to do.
As for me, I'm retired so I'm kind of used to staying home but it does bother me that I can't just hop in the car and go someplace. I do miss my exercise classes and the socialization events we normally have in our community.
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

I became a homebody after Jack passed so staying home doesn't bother me. I have the pups and Kyle is next door. There's always something to do. If I get bored inside the house I go outside. I mow the grass, rake, cut something. I get out for necessities only. Today it was trash and dog food. Next week I will have to make another grocery run.
Last edited by Jan Mosier on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

No other than trying to stay away from the stores as much as possible and avoiding any one. I do miss church and being around our friends but we are enjoying getting some things done. Even though we are essential I am working from home (most days) and my DH is working out of the home. My employer is not being rigid about having to get 8 hours or more in. Trying to get done what I can and the last few days I have spent helping several clients with disasters loans, SBA loans and PPP loans. Helped a client for a hour this morning

I know it is tough but try to take some deep breaths and enjoy this time with children and families that you get

Return to “Daily Chatter”