National Day April 7 Metric System Day

phillisw
Challenge Team

National Day April 7 Metric System Day

Post by phillisw »

Metric System Day is an annual celebration of a nearly-universal system of measurement. This system uses standardized units like meters, kilograms, and liters. In most of the world, the metric system is the global standard; it’s perfect for simplifying and unifying measurements across the world.

However, a few countries still hold out and use alternate measuring systems. The largest countries that don’t use it are the United States, Liberia, and Myanmar, although efforts and partial adoptions in these countries.

History of Metric System Day
The beginnings of the metric system go back to 1586 when a Flemish scientist and mathematician called Simon Stevin published his pamphlet entitled ‘De Thiende’ (‘The Tenth’).

In the publication, Stevin emphasized the importance of decimal-based measurement. He probably didn’t realize it then, but he had laid the first bricks in the foundation of the metric system. However, it wasn’t until over two centuries later that Stevin’s vision began to materialize.

In 1799, after the terror of the French Revolution and with the rise of Napoleon Bonaparte, the French government officially adopted the metric system. Napoleon recognized the benefits of a standardized measurement system across his always-expanding empire.

As a result, he introduced it to the territories he conquered. Despite initial resistance – and even a short period of abandonment after Napoleon’s defeat at Waterloo – the metric system gradually regained its traction across Europe.

By the mid-19th century, countries like the Netherlands, Italy, and the German Empire had adopted the metric system. Between 1875 and 1914, the period saw these measurements were put into place by several other nations, including Brazil, Spain, Portugal, and Mexico.

Interestingly, the United States allowed the use of the metric system for commercial purposes as early as 1866, demonstrating its growing international influence. Still, Americans have not accepted its widespread use, still preferring the Imperial measurement system.

The evolution of the metric system continued into the 20th century with the establishment of the International System of Units (SI) in 1960 by the International Institute of Metrology.

This updated version of the metric system further standardized measurements and included units such as the Kelvin for temperature.
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Re: National Day April 7 Metric System Day

Post by phillisw »

I remember learning the Metric system when I was in Junior High, about 1978. They said the US was going to change to Metric. As we know it did not
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Re: National Day April 7 Metric System Day

Post by Tracy F »

I remember learning it in school also. When I lived in Saudi we used the metric system but I have to admit I don't remember much of it anymore.

Return to “Daily Chatter”