National Day March 31

phillisw
Challenge Team

National Day March 31

Post by phillisw »

Oranges And Lemons Day is a joyful celebration held once a year at St. Clement Danes Church. The origins of Oranges and Lemons Day go back even earlier.

They speak to the fascinating historical accounts of the church’s bells. Even more interestingly, it includes a local custom of distributing citrus fruits—a relatively rare treat of that era.

History of Oranges And Lemons Day
Oranges And Lemons Day traces back to Reverend William Pennington-Bickford’s 1919 restoration of the bells at St. Clement Danes Church.

In 1920, these bells were blessed and adorned with garlands of oranges and lemons, and that day marked the first official celebration of this event. Using oranges and lemons to decorate the Church was a nod back to an older tradition when oranges and lemons arrived in London by boat on the River Thames.

The arrival of the fruit was cause for celebration. They were distributed to residents by porters and attendants of Clement’s Inn. This practice, however, dwindled in the late nineteenth century.

You might now ask: What’s the big deal with oranges and lemons? Remember that the UK’s climate is too cool for growing citrus fruits.

In fact, what we take as a given at the grocery store today was a costly, luxurious item – at least until refrigerators became standard during the middle of the twentieth century.

The fruits were imported and, therefore, a very special (and expensive!) treat. Distributing oranges and lemons symbolizes abundance and blessings.

Despite being bombed during the Blitz in 1941, the Oranges And Lemons Day continued. The celebration came to represent resilience and hope. Oranges, and sometimes lemons, were handed out to London’s children, even during World War II shortages.

After the war’s end, the Church rebuilt St. Clement Danes. By 1959, the celebration moved back indoors, with the recast bells pealing joyfully to announce Oranges And Lemons Day.

How to Celebrate Oranges And Lemons Day
Here are some ways you might take part in the day’s events:
Attend the Oranges And Lemons Day Service
Anyone in London on the day of the celebrations must attend St. Clement Danes Church. It’s a moment to watch history and tradition come alive.
Enjoy Citrus Fruits
Embrace Oranges And Lemons Day by enjoying the fruits for yourself. There are countless ways to enjoy them. Of course, you can enjoy them fresh. Or, you can whip up your own creative dessert. You might also enjoy squeezing the juices to toast the day with a fresh-juice cocktail.
Distribute Fruits to Children
Honor the tradition by handing out oranges and lemons to children in your community. This one kind and simple gesture can bring joy. It can also educate the little ones about this special day.
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Re: National Day March 31

Post by phillisw »

It is also:
National Tater Day
Easter
Daylight Savings Day
National Bunsen Burner Day
National cream Cheese frosting Day
National Crayon Day
National Prom Day
and More https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/mar/31/
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

Interesting read!
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Oh I just put our lemons and mandarin oranges in the fridge so they don't go moldy while we are gone. Also I have a friend who just gave me 16 grapefruit. Six of them are going with us. Definitely going to eat one a day.
Nice info to learn so much more!!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

My skin and my stomach are sensitive to oranges. I like to add lemon to my iced tea.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”