2/22 NATIONAL SWEET POTATO DAY

Tamara
Challenge Team

2/22 NATIONAL SWEET POTATO DAY

Post by Tamara »

National Cook a Sweet Potato Day is celebrated every year on February 22. This vegetable is loved and eaten by millions every day in the United States alone. Many times people confuse sweet potatoes with yams; however, that’s not the case. Cultivars of the sweet potato bear tubers with flesh and skin of many colors.

HISTORY OF NATIONAL COOK A SWEET POTATO DAY
Sweet Potatoes are widely consumed by billions across the globe and mainly in America. This sweet root vegetable is very versatile and is used in salads and soups and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, snack, or dinner. The most important part of the vegetable is the starchy tuberous roots. Nevertheless, the leaves and shoots are also edible. Eating cooked tubers can increase their nutritional value and digestibility; however, many American colonists in the Southeast consumed raw sweet potatoes.

Sweet potatoes are a distant relative of the common potato as they both belong in the order Solanales. It is believed that before Western exploration, sweet potatoes were grown in Polynesia. Later, it is said they have spread to Central or South America typically through the spread of vine cuttings rather than seeds. In fact, it is believed that Central America domesticated sweet potatoes around 5,000 years ago. According to the Peruvian sweet potato remnants found in South America, it has been observed that they date back to 8000 B.C.

In 1594, sweet potatoes were introduced in the Fujian province of China from Luzon. Governor Chin Hsüeh-Tseng (Jin Xuezeng) further encouraged growing sweet potatoes. In the year 2019, the global production of sweet potatoes was measured at 92 million tonnes. China led this production with 56% of the world’s total.

Sweet potatoes also arrived in Europe and it is recorded in “Elinor Fettiplace’s Receipt Book,” compiled in England in 1604.

Make sweet potato fries
Craving those delicious potato french fries? Mix it up and make sweet potato fries instead. Put on a movie or show and snack away on your tasty and healthy meal.

Anyone love Sweet Potao Fries? Just may have to make some today.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Re: 2/22 NATIONAL SWEET POTATO DAY

Post by Lolis »

I love sweet potatoes, but not too fond of sweet potato fries.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

I do like sweet potato fries and sweet potatoes once in a while. dh does not care for any sweet potatoes
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Yummy - I like both, potatoes & fries
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

There was a lady at the market that made sweet potato bread. Oh my gosh, it was delicious! I had my entire family hooked on it when I worked the market.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3

Return to “Daily Chatter”