National Day January 17, 2023

Lolis
Challenge Team

National Day January 17, 2023

Post by Lolis »

POPEYE® THE SAILOR MAN DAY

January 17 marks the 95th Birthday of the world’s most famous spinach loving, nautical hero — it's Popeye the Sailor Man! Today, we are taking epic strides to honor this legendary sailor who is tough and fit with tons of grit, as one of America’s most renown, pop-culture icons. After all, he yam what he yam!
Sailor. Tough-Guy. Hero. Legend.

Popeye's personality is like no other. He is unassuming and self-assured. Behind the tough exterior and one-eyed squint, he is a kind-hearted sailor who always goes above and beyond to help those in need. Even though his forearms bulge with superhuman strength, it's his determined sense of loyalty and justice that allows him to overcome any challenge. However, there is no love greater in Popeye's world than the love he has for his girl, Olive Oyl.

1. "Who else grew up watching Popeye cartoons and has a favorite episode?"
2. "Do you have any childhood memories of eating spinach because of Popeye?"
3. "What do you think makes Popeye such an iconic and beloved character?"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Re: National Day January 17, 2023

Post by Lolis »

I’m also adding this fun facts:
15 Fun Facts about Popeye®

1.Popeye is 10 years younger than Olive Oyl! He walked on to her strip, “Thimble Theatre,” as a bit character in 1929 and became so popular the strip was eventually renamed “Popeye.”

2. Before spinach became the source of Popeye’s super strength, his power came from rubbing the head of a magical Whiffle Hen named Bernice!

3.Popeye is known as Braccio di Ferro (“Iron Arm”) in Italy, Karl Alfred in Sweden, and Skipper Skraek ("Terror of the Sea") in Denmark.

4. Popeye made his silver screen debut on July 14, 1933 appearing in the Betty Boop cartoon entitled "Popeye the Sailor." The cartoon was produced by Fleischer Studios and distributed by Paramount Pictures.

5. The song "I'm Popeye the Sailor Man" was released in 1933. Composed by Sammy Lerner, the song gave birth to one of Popeye’s most famous catch phrases “I’m strong to da finich ‘cause I eats me spinach.”

6. Popeye is recognized for his influence on America's spinach consumption, so much so that Crystal City, TX, the Spinach Capital of the World, erected a statue in his honor in 1937.

7. The Popeye Village in Malta was developed for the 1980 Popeye movie starring Robin Williams. The village still exists today and has grown into a major tourist attraction in the Maltese Islands.

8. Popeye has inspired many iconic pop-artists over the year, including Andy Warhol (1961), Roy Lichtenstein (1961) and Jeff Koons (2002).

9. In Summer 1976, Tokyo based Magazine House launches the “Popeye” magazine. The magazine was the first fashion and lifestyle magazine to be published in Japan that targets young, Japanese men. The magazine is named “Popeye” because the creator’s son was a fan.

10. In 1957, Popeye’s balloon first appeared in the Macy’s Day parade. Interestingly, Olive Oyl became the first female balloon to join the parade in the early 1980’s.

11. Popeye was featured as the Google Doodle in 2009 to honor creator E.C. Segar’s birthday.

12. Popeye is a clean ocean advocate and ambassador for ocean conservation and clean up organization known as The SeaCleaners.

13. Chester, IL, the birthplace of Popeye creator, E.C. Segar, honors hometown hero the Popeye & Friends Character Trail. Every year, granite statues representing the wide cast of characters from Segar’s Thimble Theatre cartoon strips are added to the trail throughout the city.

14. Good Housekeeping’s Nutrition Lab awarded Popeye the “Good Housekeeping Nutritionist Approved Emblem” in their January/February 2024 issue to celebrate his decades-long commitment to healthy eating, fitness as well as his efforts in ocean conservation. Popeye is the first "person" to receive this honor.

15. New Popeye comic strips are still released weekly! You can find the latest strip by Randy Milholland at ComicsKingdom.com.
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

HaHa I LOVE it! I accidentally thought it was Thursday and posted the whole thing. and then quickly deleted it. We think alike! I loved Popeye the Sailor Man, living in a garbage can. Tell me you didn't just sing that. :lol: :lol: :lol: and I do love spinach!! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jan Mosier
Challenge Team

Post by Jan Mosier »

I remember watching Popeye as a kid, and no to the spinach. Although, I like baby spinach in place of lettuce on my sandwiches today.
Image ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
2024 Layouts - 8
2024 Cards - 3
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

I remember watching Popeye too. I'm not a fan of cooked spinach but I like it in salads.
phillisw
Challenge Team

Post by phillisw »

AH, I remember the song more than the show. I don't remember eating spinach. Never liked it cooked. I do cook it now in with eggs, or a casserole maybe. I have a couple recipes I use it in. I so like it raw in my salad.
Phillis

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Cooked spinach drowned in vinegar is the best way to eat it!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

Robin Williams was great in the Popeye movie!
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

I loved the cartoon and yes, I know eat spinach. Salads and sometimes DH will add it to breakfast burritos

Return to “Daily Chatter”