School

Tamara
Challenge Team

School

Post by Tamara »

For those of you involved in school, when does it start for you? and is it changed because of Covid19?

I noticed I had a few friends on my feed from Arizona that started school yesterday. It just seems so early for me. Is that a normal start? or are they trying to catch up? I don't know. Our kids here usually start the end of August. It was just push back another week so my High school Grandkids won't start till September. They are planning in school attendance but most parents are preferring to go to online teaching. It's such an individual decision and one I am glad I don't have to make.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Patti
Site Admin

Re: School

Post by Patti »

It varies so much from state to state. Ours is doing a crazy program and so many kids are going to be missed. I have committed to helping a friend homeschool her 2 girls and our church is looking at providing some type of learning center where kids could come in for help/tutoring. I have no idea what my grandkids are doing...they liked virtual learning. Their dad is the curriculum director for a school district so I'm sure his summer has not been fun.
Patti

ImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage
sdwhru
Executive Chef

Post by sdwhru »

Or town announced Sunday they are going to be virtual learning. I didn't hear the date so I'm not sure for who long.

Like Tamara, I am so glad I am not having to make a decision in this case. It is such a hard decision to make right now
Tracy F
Challenge Team

Post by Tracy F »

Not sure what they're doing in my town yet. Normally kids here would go back next week but I know it's been pushed back til they decide what to do.
My stepdaughter is a kindergarten teacher up in Mass. and they just decided it will all be online to start. One granddaughter loves that but the other doesn't.
tammyfolk
Owner / Site Admin

Post by tammyfolk »

So many schools in my area with different options.

As for G, he’ll start his sophomore year of college in person. All of his classes will be in person, unless something changes. So he’s anxiously waiting. . . online / virtual classes were NOT his thing.
Tammy Folk - Strawberries & Peppermints

Scrapbooking....is there really anything else?

ImageImageImage
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

I'm also glad I don't have to make those decisions!!! Our schools here have decided to do in person teaching starting the 17th of August but they're all relatively small schools. Not sure what the main town's schools are doing though. Seems like early starts this year to me too...

Two of my grandsons live in North Carolina. Not sure when they are starting. They're going to do a couple of days in person and the rest online.

My other 2 grandsons who are in school live in Ketchikan and I don't think they've decided yet. Their dad is a junior high teacher so he's been swamped with having kids at home and trying to teach from home too.
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Lolis
Challenge Team

Post by Lolis »

We are starting virtual Aug. 17 to September 27. Teachers go back on the 11th. On September 27 the situation will be reassessed. At that time we will give the parents the choice to continue virtual or go to school.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sthom97093
Challenge Team

Post by sthom97093 »

School....the source of much of my stress here lately...I'm a teacher with Crohn's Disease that gets an IV every 8 weeks that knocks out my immune system to keep the disease in remission. The thought of going back into the lion's den of germs has spiraled me into some serious panic attacks. After much advocating for myself, I was able to secure an online teaching position for this upcoming school year. Our district gave parents an option; full return 5 days a week or online school and it appears about 25% of our population chose online. HOWEVER, as I'm sure many of your states are, things are fluid. Mandates change daily...our school board okayed a new school calendar that has students returning Tues 9/8. Teachers go back 8/24 because we have to do extensive training on online teaching b/c we fully expect those that chose the full return option to be put online by mid fall. I've actually tried to quit thinking about it as much as I can because it makes me sick to my stomach. There is simply no way for the CDC social distancing guidelines to be fully implemented. Because of all the mandates, school will be very institutionalized; not the setting we are used to when we think of schools. People, teachers and students, will get sick...Hopefully they will make a full recovery. So...been a lot to process here lately from the teacher end of the spectrum.
GinniG
Station Chef

Post by GinniG »

sthom97093 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:38 am School....the source of much of my stress here lately...I'm a teacher with Crohn's Disease that gets an IV every 8 weeks that knocks out my immune system to keep the disease in remission. The thought of going back into the lion's den of germs has spiraled me into some serious panic attacks. After much advocating for myself, I was able to secure an online teaching position for this upcoming school year. Our district gave parents an option; full return 5 days a week or online school and it appears about 25% of our population chose online. HOWEVER, as I'm sure many of your states are, things are fluid. Mandates change daily...our school board okayed a new school calendar that has students returning Tues 9/8. Teachers go back 8/24 because we have to do extensive training on online teaching b/c we fully expect those that chose the full return option to be put online by mid fall. I've actually tried to quit thinking about it as much as I can because it makes me sick to my stomach. There is simply no way for the CDC social distancing guidelines to be fully implemented. Because of all the mandates, school will be very institutionalized; not the setting we are used to when we think of schools. People, teachers and students, will get sick...Hopefully they will make a full recovery. So...been a lot to process here lately from the teacher end of the spectrum.
That IS a lot to process and deal with! So sorry you're having to go through all of this! :( It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is isn't it? But with your special situation it's even worse. {{{HUGS}}
Follow me on our Alaskan adventure at https://www.facebook.com/AlaskanJungleChronicles
Tamara
Challenge Team

Post by Tamara »

Patti wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:58 am It varies so much from state to state. Ours is doing a crazy program and so many kids are going to be missed. I have committed to helping a friend homeschool her 2 girls and our church is looking at providing some type of learning center where kids could come in for help/tutoring. I have no idea what my grandkids are doing...they liked virtual learning. Their dad is the curriculum director for a school district so I'm sure his summer has not been fun.
Patti! SO exciting to hear that your church is stepping in to help. I think a lot of parents home schooling are at their wits end. That is a fabulous idea to help the kids have a diversion and still stay on track learning.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Daily Chatter”